Case Study - South American LNG Plant
The $10 billion LNG plant was built by a US-based EPC to National Electrical Code 500. The plant has hazardous locations of approximately 35% across the asset. LNG assets are operated and maintained by a multifunctional work force. The challenge was that the company had no system to maintain & inspect this critical Hazardous Location (HAZLOC).
ATEC carried out a campaign of Inspections which involved the Initial 100% Detailed inspection of all electrical equipment installed within predetermined Hazardous Locations.
- Provision of a recommendation list of punches detailing the actions required to ensure compliance to NEC 500 Code.
- Provision of a recommendation list of replacement parts (BOM list).
- Creation of a complete accurate Hazardous Area Equipment Register (supporting electronic dossier of documentation).
- Provision of NEC 500 Inspection Checklist (ICLTM) – the world’s first digitised system to this code to allow monitoring & planning of periodic risk based Hazardous Area Inspection plans.
ATEC ICLTM not only reviews on-site critical area issues and identifies potential hazards but also helps to advise on current and subsequent training needs.
ATEC advised client they could complete this project >25% quicker than other parties involved in initial tender, however completed even earlier than expected giving client not only a 30% saving in initiating system but ongoing project periodic inspection savings of 50% (= approx. $360k p.a.)
ATEC carried out the Project utilising over 36,000 man hours – all without any Lost Time Accidents (LTA’s) or Incidents (LTI’s) in full compliance with required Client Procedures along with relevant Country & International Standards.
- LNG Operations.
- H&S Compliance
- Plant reliability.
Keys to success
- ATEC Standard Inspections.
- Competent Certified Inspectors
- Detailed Project Management
- Ability to interpret Standards and propose cost effective.
- Functionality of RFID and software system (ICLTM).
Benefits to clients including immediate
- Removal on intolerable Safety.
- Compliance with local.
- Increase in reliability of plant.
- 3 Year periodic Inspection cost saving in excess of 1 million dollars (US).
- NEC 500
- API RP 500
- API RP 14F.
About ATEC Services
We are a group of companies focused on services related to Hazardous Area Awareness and Asset Integrity. We provide specialized safety training and inspection services for companies who deal with the world of Potentially Explosive Atmospheres. From our inception over 11 Years ago, ATEC has without a doubt, been the go-to company for hazardous area compliance around the world.
With Offices, Training and Inspection Centers in Houston and Singapore, the group is dedicated to the safety of personnel and asset protection by supplying International NEC / IEC Electrical Cables & Hazardous Area Accessories, Atex, IECEx competence training, including CompEx assessments, facility compliance and equipment inspection services.